About Canine Parasites:
Fleas, Heartworm and Intestinal Parasites
Parasites feed on “hosts,” such as wildlife, people, and pets. Even well-cared-for pets can contract parasites. Prevention is the best defense for your dog against potentially dangerous parasites.
Trifexis® (spinosad + milbemycin oxime) protects your dog from five dangerous parasites: fleas, heartworm and three kinds of intestinal parasites — roundworm, hookworm, and whipworm.
The Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC) recommends treating dogs year-round with a broad-spectrum parasite preventive.1 CAPC, an independent group of veterinarians established to create guidelines for the optimal control of parasites, says that year-round protection can help ensure both the health of your pet and the well-being of your family.
How your veterinarian can help
Your veterinarian is the best source of information regarding your pet's health. When talking with your veterinarian about parasite protection, your visit might include:
- A thorough examination of your pet to determine:
- the severity and possible sources of flea infestation and intestinal parasite infection
- diagnostics to ensure your dog is free from heartworm infection before starting on a heartworm preventive
- Fecal diagnostics (stool samples and tests)
- An assessment of your lifestyle and that of your pet's to determine which parasites are of concern and which parasite protection products are best suited for your specific needs
- A review of flea control options, including immediate remedies as well as a long-term parasite protection program
- A discussion of the need for year-round parasite protection
See our Frequently Asked Questions page for discussion points you might find useful to cover with your veterinarian.
Elanco Animal Health cares about you and your pet
CAPC notes that, according to their research, public awareness of parasites — and of the risks of transmission to humans — is low2. Use the links on the left to access information we've gathered to help you learn about the importance of parasite protection, for both your dog and you.